Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Point-by-Point: Stir of Echos 2 3/10

A national guardsman accidentally kills an innocent family at a check point in Iraq. He returns home and starts seeing dead people. And the future. And people who aren't dead, but might be. So, let's just say he sees spooky things.
 
The Good: Well, it was based on a good movie – does that count? Rob Lowe isn't terrible, and I guess its moral is ok, if a bit heavy-handed.
The Bad: I actually like plot twists that make you reevaluate what you've just seen, but ones that make the first 70 minutes of the movie absolutely meaningless just tick me off. Plus, it also relies on you believing that humans are basically evil.
The Ugly: Dude uses a lighter to burn "KILLER" into his arm. It gets bubbly.
 
Points Pondered

  • There have been a chain of in-name-only sequels that probably should have just called themselves something else. I guess it's a question of how much money can you milk from a known name versus keeping any sort of artistic integrity. Hmm, I wonder which the studios will choose . . .

  • Movies have taught me that all ghosts are pretty much jerks. Except Patrick Swayze. Of course, he wasn't exactly a NICE ghost.

  • If your husband starts talking about seeing ghosts, burning himself and generally becoming a ticking time bomb, you should probably think about locking up the guns.

  • Finishing a horror movie at 2 am (even a bad one) makes me turn on a lot of lights before I go to sleep.

No comments: