Saturday, March 2, 2013

Point-by-Point: Lady Vengeance - 6/10


A lady goes to prison for awhile, then seeks vengeance on the one who put her there. The title is apt.

The Good: Park has style to spare. While it didn't quite impress me as much as Oldboy, the movie has an elegance that's easy to like. I also appreciate that people looked to have aged between when our hero first went to prison and eventually got out - I've run across far too many movies where 5 or 10 years supposedly pass and all the folks even have the same haircuts.

The Bad: I didn't like the story. More to the point, I felt like it was a good premise wasted. I actually kind of enjoyed the whole build-up of her calling on prison connections, but once a little girl shows up and other families get involved, it gets stupid fast. There are more than a few pointless scenes, and none of the actors seem like anything special. Overall, it's a pretty, dull movie.

The Ugly: There are a few scenes to be sure, but surprisingly nothing really approaching Oldboy. Let's go with the man-dog in the dream sequence.

Points Pondered

-The main character looks cooler in the poster than she does in most of the movie. I mention this mainly because I really like her eyes in the poster.

-She totes a very cool, albeit impractically super-close-range, handgun. But hey, style is definitely important.

-The "10 prisoners to a room" system seems to just be inviting problems.

-I think we can all agree that Chan-wook Park just enjoys torturing Min-sik Choi.  

No comments: